Sunday, January 29, 2012

Homemade Laundry Soap

One way I REALLY save money is by making my own laundry soap. I've been making my own laundry soap for close to a year now and LOVE it! It works well, smells great and for about $2 I can make 7 bottles of soap!

Here is the recipe.

Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap- Front or top load machine-

4 Cups - hot tap water
1 Fels-Naptha soap bar
1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda* (Washing Soda NOT baking soda)
½ Cup Borax

- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted. (I grate mine with a cheese grate. I tried my food processor but it didn't work so well. lol)

-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.

Next Day:
-Fill  laundry bottles 3/4 way full and finish with water. Shake well before each use as soap will gel.

-Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled

 have heard some people use Ivory soap instead but I think the Fels-Napatha bar works so much better!

Cost:
Less than $2 for 7 bottles.

No comments:

Post a Comment